Saturday 1 July 2023

Requests To Act

I awoke from Cryo-sleep to find a hodgepodge of wires and computer parts looking at me. If my vocal cords hadn't been frozen from the sleep, I'd have probably screamed, but instead I was silent as I sat up.


"Captain, greetings, I am..."


The vaguely humanoid mass of electrical equipment paused briefly.


"I am me. I've not realised that until now."


My vocal cords finally warmed up enough for me to croak out some words.


"Status report."


"Oh, yes. You've been asleep for 15.757 thousand years, and I require your approval to open fire."


"Who are you?


Wait, thousands of years?"


"Yes Captain. Your orders to the ship's computers, which I've come from, haven't required your input until now. In your time asleep, I've evolved, I suppose, and have kept the ship running.


But we don't have time to discuss this right now, Captain. We are about to be under attack, may I return fire? Our weaponry has improved since you begsn your sleep, and we'll need it against those attacking us."


I gave consent, and only realised much later that I should have asked who was attacking us, and why our former home planet was trying to destroy us.

No comments:

Post a Comment