Saturday 18 August 2018

Bit Of Cardboard

It was my high school formal, right before we finished our time there and moved on to university or work or whatever. They have out awards, most studious, most popular. I won one, biggest grub, the most messy. I got a laugh by walking up to collect the award with a pitcher of cola I was drinking from.

Afterwards she came up to me. She was the class president, the best and brightest. I was just the big guy everyone knew and no one hated, and because of those two apparently equal traits, we had both been chosen to be the student representatives on a school report thing, I'd not paid much attention during the meetings. We weren't friends as such but she was friendly with most people, apparently.

But as a few people were dancing and others were drinking or kissing or both, she asked something of me.

"Why do you play that up? You don't have to act like that."

I gave a noncommittal answer and slinked away, not wanting to get into a debate, but I think about her a lot off and on.

I feel bad that she must live her entire life playing a role.

No comments:

Post a Comment